Sunday, November 9, 2008

Recycling Denim

My dad gave me a pencil yesterday. I don't use pencils much, and when I do I use mechanical pencils for patternmaking. 
Well, this pencil is not a normal pencil. It's made from recycled denim. I LOVE THIS! and it really got me thinking...
The average American purchases 70 pounds of fabric per year, with 85 % ending up in landfills (according to the Institute for Local-Reliance) ... and imagine how much of that is denim; it being a basic staple fashion item of  Americans' every day wardrobe. 
Also, imagine how many mechanical pencils are just thrown out. Not recycled, or reused, just thrown in the trash when it runs out of refillable lead. 

Everyone should start using recycled pencils! Especially cute ones like this 








I love the little pocket on the end of it with the top stitching!







-Shell Baby aka Jene'

No comments: